Tuesday, August 17, 2010

We could use some of these back home

For all the entrepreneurial types out there, there are a couple things out here that would do great back home:

1) Coffee vending machines. We've got the standard soda/candy machines, but the Okinawans have really mastered the vending machines out here. They are literally everywhere - main streets, side streets, deserted mountainside roads, you name it. Makes me wonder how many people are employed to solely make the rounds and restock the thousands of machines scattered around this island. But anyway, what makes these amazing is the fact that you can get so much more than just soda. You've got ice cream sandwiches, a variety of sodas, juices, teas, and enough coffee options to put you on a perpetual caffeine kick. The best thing is that they offer both hot AND cold coffees from the SAME machine! You can get cafe mochas, cafe au laits, regular coffees, iced coffees, espressos...Why these haven't reached the US yet, I don't know.


These little guys are my favorite. The red button below it means it's the hot option, so I can decide if I want a cold au lait or a hot one


2) Cocos Curry houses. Besides the fact that yes, the Japanese have the ubiquitous Starbucks and McD's out here, they've also got these amazing fast-food curry joints. It was one of the first restaurants I tried, and the Japanese curries are sweeter than their Indian counterparts. Doesn't mean they're not as spicy either, but it's just a different taste.
This curry chain is scattered all over Japan and they're simply awesome -- they're cheap, easy, quick, and you can get any combination you can think of. Whether it's veggie or chicken, steak or fish, they've got it all and a bunch of toppings and spiciness levels to choose from, too. (Or maybe they're in the States already, and if you've seen them then you're ahead of me) but they are sooo goood.








My last curry selection: Level 1 spiciness + red curry + steak and veggies.
I think I'll venture to Level 3 spicy next time, although I've heard the average person cries from just eating a Level 5.





And this isn't a new idea, but I thought these were the funkiest things. It's the traveling Boogie Bagie Boxes! You wouldn't know it by the name, but they're hot dog trucks with little attached canopies on the side that function as a bar. The names out here crack me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment